DFI Week 4 – Dealing with Data

Manaiakalani Reflection – Share
Humans have been sharing since the beginning of time. Sharing contributes to creating and sustaining relationships. The mode has changed but the urge is still there to share. We share all; success, failures, heartbreak etc.
Social media has meant we can share with speed and amplification, sharing from a few people to millions of people in one hit. These days, young people have seen the act of sharing since being a young child, with parents sharing family stories on insta and facebook. It is part of many children’s everyday lives. When my own children were babies we would send out a group email with an update on how life was and photos of what we’d been up to. Now there is no need for that due to the number of ways we can share these days. When my children were at pre-school they had portfolios that were shared with whānau. I missed this aspect as my older two started school. When my youngest two were at pre-school the form of sharing became digital with apps such as Story Park. I continued to enjoy seeing pieces of my child’s learning while I couldn’t be with them. I missed this aspect of my older children’s school years. Once apps such as Seesaw and Class Dojo became available we were now able to have a glimpse into what our children were learning in school. It was a really exciting time as a teacher and a parent. Now with class blogs and student blogs we can share so much more. The autonomy that students have over sharing on their own blogs is great. I imagine it lifts their confidence as learners and as a young person.

Schools can still continue to share in traditional ways as well, such as assemblies, concerts, classroom displays, etc. Yesterday I had writers from other classes to share their writing and I had sent students to share their writing to other classes to share. This gives them a boost in confidence to continue their learning in a positive way. Having feedback and feedforward from authentic audiences such as, teachers, peers, parents, or extended family will help boost confidence in learners.

So much learning today! I have (hopefully correctly) linked my headings back to the presentations slides after seeing someone in my bubble do it on their blog.

Google Maps
I did struggle with this as I was a few minutes late so I am still working on this task. We are currently focusing on settlers to NZ in the early 1900s. One of our foci is to find out where we have come from around the world, whether that be our parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. This will be an amazing tool to use for this piece of learning.

Deep Dive – Spreadsheets

and creating with sheets

I have never created a spreadsheet before (only used those that others have created) so this is great learning for me. I love that you can freeze a column/row as I was constantly scrolling backwards and forwards to find what I need, then worry I’ve looked at/added to the wrong line. I also loved the resizing tool! I like things to match the size of the content in the box and I also like all the boxes to be the same size. I really liked how you could put a graph in a single text box. I enjoyed having a small group to work with as we practised on the given document. I am looking forward to implementing this id different areas. I know it is going to help me in many areas of organisation! Making the graph was a bonus too! I’m loving knowing how to use Spreadsheets! Here is the graph and analyse from Nese’s blog posts.

Google Forms

I enjoyed making the google form today and look forward to being able to use this in the class. I’d like to create a range of quizzes, put the link on my sight and use it as part of my learning rotations. Have a go at the quiz I created today!

My Google Form Quiz

Blogging Tips

It’s great to have some useful sentence starters and ideas to comment on students and teachers blog posts. I often want to make a comment but struggle with what to say. So thanks for those! 😍

3 thoughts on “DFI Week 4 – Dealing with Data

1. Kia Ora Jemma
    I was immediately drawn into your blog from your introduction to the end. It made me think of the times as an early childhood educator working on learning stories and the fond memories of creating those documents that reflected the child. Sometimes I think about what it might be like if I had stayed there.
    I am a newbie as well with with the learning we are doing but find the learn, create, share definitely gets me through.
    Having the opportunity to read and comment on another blog really gives me some insight about how to be more reflective in my own blogging.
    Meitaki

2. Tēnā`koe Jemma
    I really enjoyed your reflections about the learning that was shared on Story Park etc when your babies were younger – I really think the direction we are heading in now with our Hero Posts is so much better – more personal and relevant to each child (rather than a very boring piece of paper handed out twice a year!). We have some tweaking to do but we will get there.
    I always admire the way you are open to trying so many new things in the digital space – you give your students lots of opportunities to try the skills you are learning and you have had some really great results – I am not up to that level yet, but I know I can learn from you when I need to. The idea to link the headings is brilliant!
    I really enjoyed reading your post.

3. Kia ora Jemma

Great blog post! I really enjoyed reading your reflections on sharing and how much it has changed in recent years – particularly in regards to your own children, but also at school. It’s amazing how much it has changed in such a short amount of time.

It sounds like you have learnt a lot from last weeks session – particularly in regards to sheets and google forms. I am always impressed by your ability to try out these new skills in your teaching.

Rebecca