DFI – Day 1

I enjoyed hearing about the meaning of the words Manaiakalani and the group of stars that lead Māori here from Hawaiki. Using the hook to hook learners into learning is great.

Looking back and realising how much technology has changed since 2006 was an eye opener. I’d forgotten how far we have come! I have a lot of respect for those who were on the original Manaiakalani team trying to create something with very little technology. I did like the idea that technology isn’t replacing the book, it is replacing the pencil.

Today I learnt more about google docs. In the past I have used Pages on my Mac and had come accustomed to this. Whenever I used google docs to create posters/invites etc I would get very frustrated and go back to Pages. Today has helped me to understand a few different aspects of google docs to help me create things quicker. I do wish there was a ‘flip image’ option without having to go into google drawing though. Here is what I created in google docs today.

Learning about organising our google drive was good for me. I do have to spend some time in this area as I’m always in a hurry, once the document is named I never seem to get it to a folder. My goal is to work on saving things to a folder from the beginning of creating the document I am working on so if I run out of time, it will automatically save to the correct folder and not just be another random thing sitting on my drive.

Reflecting on the day, I have learnt many new things and am especially happy to finally be rid of the second (identical) account I had created accidentally. Yay to being the only Jemma Moorby on my google account again! 🤩

One thought on “DFI – Day 1

1. Kia ora Jemma, lots of useful take aways for you today. I agree the native Mac apps are great. Getting my head around the Google Workspace apps has definitely benefited designing for learners to use.
    Nice work on the invitation!
    Fiona